Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Paco, the Cabana Boy and other people we messed up for Life with our hyena-like yelping.

Opossum Creek Retreat has a very special employee. Whether you need cookies, or toilet paper, or an ice water while soaking in the hot tub...there's just one man to call.

Paco. The Cabana Boy.

When the gals at the Farmhouse ran out of TP, Paco ran out to Wal-Mart and got us some.
A TWENTY-FOUR pack of TP. Thank you, Paco.

When we needed more washcloths, Paco brought a stack of them high enough to make a bed out of. Thank you, Paco.

When Kathi and Kathie were relaxing their Warbler Necks away in the hot tub, Paco was good enough to drape a towel over his arm and hand-deliver some nice, cold bottled water. Thank you, Paco.

Paco the Cabana Boy
We even asked him for foot rubs and to put bubble bath in the hot tub, but I guess everyone has a limit.
Poor man...I wonder if the sight of EIGHT tipsy, giggly female birders begging for massages has scarred him for life? He did sprint to his truck when he left.

Geoff Heeter, give that man a raise.


We were loud and boisterous on this trip.
That's an understatement.
It would start as a simple, innocent statement between say, Mary and Lynne...then someone's exhausted brain would interpret it as something else, and the giggles would begin. Then they would just glance at each other and the van would start rocking back and forth with hyena-like howling and wiping of tears and wheezing for breath.
We got 'shooshed' by the trip leaders more than once. :)~

While driving back from My Perfect Day, Lynne was quiet...and I couldn't shut up.
We rounded a bend near the Farmhouse, and saw a man on a horse, with some dogs standing around. I said to Lynne, and I quote: "Oh, look Lynne! There's a man on a horse!".
And Lynne FREAKIN' LOST IT. I nearly had to carry her in the house, she was so out of her mind with helpless laughter.

Now, WE know that we had the time of our lives. And most people at the festival enjoyed us enjoying ourselves. More than once, people would come up to us at dinner and say, "None of you were on our trip today, and it was SOOOOO BORING! We were with a bunch of Sticks In The Mud!"
I only heard of ONE couple who didn't think too much of us. They didn't like "Those Blogger People". Snort.


Quickie video of Paco and Kathi, out at the hot tub:

16 comments:

TR Ryan said...

Yep, that pretty much sums up the New River Birding and Nature Festival!

What I love, love, love - is that we 9 core nature bloggers arrived to this festival and pretty much obliterated any previously held notions of what birders were supposed to be like.

Here's to the new breed of birders and here's to the New River Birding and Nature Festival!

The Cock

TR Ryan said...

PS - Fantastic and very appropriate post title!

jalynn01 said...

I just loved the video of Paco...he has that accent down pat! He must have used it before... haha What a fun trip! And yes, I think the 'bloggers' broke the mold of what birders were supposed to be...and now a new one has emerged. A more realistic fun one!! Great post!

Kathi said...

Hey, Paco, I need a cabana boy here at home. The dishes are dirty. the cat boxes need scooped, and i still haven't gotten my foot massage!

Cookies and toilet paper: What woman wouldn't love a man lie that?

~Kathi

Kathi said...

"like," not "lie."

~K

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Susan my dear, I read this post way earlier this afternoon. I was all dressed and made up to take Molly to an appointment. After I read it I had to go wash all the mascara off my face- I laughed so hard there was mascara ALL OVER!
I looked like a raccoon.

I could hardly breathe for wheezing!!

I miss laughing like that- with tears squirting out of my eyes.
I miss you guys.

Susan Gets Native said...

Tim:
I know, right? We are like, trend setters!

Jane:
I think he HAS used that accent on other unsuspecting birders!

Bird Girl:
We were treated right!

Kathi:
I'm sure he will get right on that.

Lynne:
Glad I could help.
:)
I guess I owe you a tube of mascara.

NCmountainwoman said...

Birding, great friends, gorgeous mountains, lots of wine, a hot tub...and now you tell me you roped some poor guy into being your cabana boy??? Is there no end? :)

Kathie Brown said...

Susan, this was too much fun!

LauraHinNJ said...

Still giggling!

(Mostly at Carolyn's idea that there was any *roping* involved.)

;-)

Susan Gets Native said...

Carolyn:
You totally need to come next year.
I haven't even finished with the stories!

Kathie:
Your giggling in the video just tickles me to no end. Must have been the hot tub...maybe I will actually get in next time.

Laura:
I know....though ROPING would have been FUN!
THEN we would have gotten our bubble bath and foot rubs!
; )

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

...bubblebath and footrubs...

Good Lord! I can hear Keith screaming and running off through the woods!

LauraHinNJ said...

Well... there was that ice cream sundae.

;-)

RuthieJ said...

What a fun post! A perfect example of the fact that you can grow up, but you don't have to grow old. So if I come to the festival next year are we going to get commemorative tattoos??

Susan Gets Native said...

Ruthie:
Funny you should mention that...I had planned to maybe get a tattoo to commemorate the week, but never got the time. I looked up parlors in the area and there's a very nice-looking one just a few miles away. Called the "Inkwell". Bring your tattoo money next year and we will go get inked!

dguzman said...

You guys... You're all awesome.