Sunday, April 13, 2008

A bird in the hand is worth....a blog post

So I was putting the girls in the car, minding my own business....
I saw a male goldfinch who hadn't flown off when we came out. That's never a good sign.




I walked over quietly, and the poor guy looked around wildly. But I was standing right in front of him and he wasn't leaving. I reached over and he flew onto my arm:
Goldfinch on my arm
Once he was practically up my nose, I could see that it didn't look like garden-variety avian conjunctivitis. Both of his eyes were damaged in some way, but not swollen or crusty like the house finches I have seen. (Goldfinches can contract conjunctivitis, but I have yet to see it in any other species but house finches.)

Blind eye goldfinch
This eye was completely shut. Poor guy. He flew up a few times, but came back to land on me every time.

Sick goldfinch
As I am used to bigger, badder toenails, it was very strange to feel these tiny claws resting on my finger. Lighter than a quarter.

I showed the girls what Mommy had in her hand....they were all like "Holy Crap!", well, the 4-and-6 year old version of "Holy Crap!".
goldfinch and girls
As I was thinking about getting the bird into a box to take to Marilyn, (one of our RAPTOR rehabbers who can also treat songbirds) the little guy flew over my head and away. I sincerely hope I can find him again. If not, well, we can wish him the best.

When I got into the car to continue with our plans, Isabelle exclaimed,
"Mommy! YOU. ARE. AWESOME!"

10 comments:

DK & The Fluffies said...

I want to hold a goldfinch!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I hope he's okay. And, your daughter is right -- you ARE awesome. The bird whisperer!

entoto said...

Susan, you ARE awesome! Good heavens, I hope that gold finch comes back to you.

NCmountainwoman said...

I agree whole-heartedly with Isabelle. You are awesome.

BTW, I thought "Holy Crap" WAS the 4-and-6 year old version.

Mary said...

Susan, I had a female that looked like that. Both of her eyes were nearly closed - no crust or infection looked present. I haven't seen her since that day...

Poor guy. Holy Crap - You ARE awesome.

Elaine @ floridabirder said...

Ohhh, I hope you find him again. Make him better, AND maybe find out what it is that is wrong with his eyes. I hope it's not another kind of epidemic.

Rurality said...

Aw, poor little guy, he doesn't look too good, does he? Don't you wish all the little birds would sit on your finger like that, though?!

RuthieJ said...

Poor little goldie! I've never had one with sick eyes, but every so often a house finch shows up like that. Those little songbird toes must feel really different after all the raptor toes on your fingers!

dguzman said...

OH.
MY.
GOD.
You're awesome. I'm glad he flew away after his little visit with you, but I'm worried about him.

"lighter than a quarter" -- beautiful.

Mel said...

Awww, poor guy :(
You are right, bird in a hand deserves post!
Hope you get to find him again and help him somehow, so sad..