Thursday, October 25, 2007

Something wicked this way comes

The huge front that is blowing migrants to points south came through today. I was oh-so pleased to see our FOS dark-eyed juncos, and it seems that they brought some visitors with them. After taking a few pictures of the juncos, I was walking past the front window and saw what appeared to be strangely-colored goldfinches. Oh, Hell no.

I hit the floor in my birder-commando crawl and peeked up over the couch. PINE SISKINS.
A life bird and a yard bird at the same time. Hot damn.

That same wind is going to blow me into Cape May, New Jersey tomorrow. I will be arriving in Atlantic City and then driving an hour south to Cape May, THE MIGRATION MAINLINE.
Start tapping that vein, Susan. You are about to get a big bolus of Birding Heaven.

I noticed that we are all converging on Cape May during the full moon. Anyone feel weird about that? I don't know about the rest of you, but I will be howling.

This is Susan, signing off until tomorrow. Next broadcast: Cape May, NJ.

11 comments:

entoto said...

Right on, right on! Have a great time.

Congrats on the lifer. Will you show me the commando crawl next time I'm in Ohio? My girls would love their momma doing that!

LauraHinNJ said...

Bring a warm coat cause that wind is blowing cold tonight in NJ!

And to think on Monday I was talking about bikinis!

Have a safe trip - don't gamble all your money away before Cape May.

See you!

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Safe travels and great sightings!

Anonymous said...

congrats on the siskin! Ugg, I need to put seeds in my feeder! Have fun at cape may and say hi to everyone for me!

Carolyn H said...

I'm glad someone's getting siskins and juncos--none here at my cabin yet. Have a great time in Cape May.

Carolyn H.

Endment said...

Hope you see lots of birds!!
The Juncos and Siskins are here at the feeders today but I am still wishing I could be down at the Cape this weekend sigh

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Wahoo Congrats about your Lifer. We are having a record number of them at our feeder today, 8 Pine Siskins. We never take them for granted. Have a great time at Cape May and I hope you collect several other lifers during the trip.

Geoff Williams said...

CAPE MAY ALERT: This is Susan's husband. Susan called earlier and told me that everybody's having trouble getting an Internet signal at the hotel, so there may not be much, or any, updates over the weekend. They may all try to find a Starbucks tomorrow and update people... but if you don't see anything from everyone on the bird trip, that'll be why. Susan said that they're having a great time, but since she got there just before dark (due to getting a little lost in New Jersey), she hasn't seen many birds. But tomorrow, it should be something else entirely...

LauraHinNJ said...

Hi Geoff:

The truth is Susan is a slacker and just isn't willing to sit out in the rain for a connection like I'm doing at the moment while she's sound asleep in her bed.

;-)

Your wife is a hoot!

I hope to find her some birds tomorrow, but the weather doesn't look promising.

Kathi said...

Hi Geoff, thanks for the update. At least we know Susan got to Cape May safely.

Laura: Smack Susan until she finds a WiFi spot where she can get an Internet connection. Discriminating blog fans demand posts live from the scene! (PS: Does she go birding before noon?)

~Kathi, on pins and needles waiting for a birding report

LauraHinNJ said...

I'm happy to say the she was up and out before 9 am today - and tomorrow we have plans for a fallout at 7:30!

Susan does the most wonderful happy dances when she sees a good bird - her excitement is contagious!