I have been thinking of all the birds we will be seeing at Cape May and came up with a list:
(All these will be lifers...)
1. Peregrine falcon: Isn't it crazy that I have not seen one yet? Sometimes I look deep into Lucy's eyes and try to soak in the "peregrineness" so that maybe I will attract one.
2. Mississippi kite: I know it's a long shot, but if you check out the Cape May checklist, they have been seen, at least once!
3. Swallow-tailed kite: Another long shot, but hey...we could get lucky.
4. Marsh/sedge/winter wrens: 'Cause they're cute and tiny.
5. Glossy ibis: I've never seen any kind of ibis outside a zoo, so that would be tubular.
6. ANY tern or jaeger: It's not like we are stumbling over them here in O-hi-o. In fact, any pelagic bird is libel to make me wet my pants. You have been warned, girls.
7. Northern gannet: This one is on the list strictly because of a family joke. When I yell at one of the cats, Nellie goes barreling into any cat she sees. I started yelling, "GANNET!" and Nellie still thinks I am yelling at a cat and goes flying into the nearest feline. It's hilarious. But the girls yell it, too, and Geoff thinks we are all yelling "DAMMIT!".
8. American oystercatcher: Just because they are so impressive...that big red bill. Yikes.
So that's the list so far.
No pressure, Laura, but I fully expect you to find all these birds for me or I will cry. But really. No pressure.