Thursday, August 31, 2006

Another walk in the woods

The weather was so pleasant today (though overcast) I decided to take the girls to the Cincinnati Nature Center, which is right around the corner from RAPTOR's new property.

You can buy a handful of fish/turtle food for a quarter...which was a big hit for the girls (and the fish and turtles)What I wasn't expecting was this. Look closely at this photo. Normal-sized, harmless turtles on the top and side...then this massive head, almost the size of the other turtles. A snapping turtle.
Excuse me while I say, "Aiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!".
Some ladies walking by said that was Arnold, as in Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I was rather excited to finally witness a nighthawk in migration tonight. Geoff and I sat and watched 10 or so fly over, in the course of 20 minutes.

My little tree-hugger. I wonder if Lorelei will grow up to be a tree doctor or something. She loves trees...the bark, the leaves, the twigs.

When I saw the moon over the peak of our house, I was reminded of 2001.

10 comments:

Geoff Williams said...

All good photos, but especially that last one is really impressive, honey. It may be a good time, incidentally, to mention that today NASA awarded a contract to Lockheed Martin, to create a spaceship to take astronauts to the moon. (Just to bring some current events to your blog.)

Susan Gets Native said...

Going to the Nature Center today isn't a current event???

Rachel said...

Awww, cute picture of Lorelei!

Susan Gets Native said...

Thanks...
She does that alot, hug trees.

Shannon said...

Watch out Susan, Lorelei looks like a future tree-huggin, dirt worshiper!!

HAL said...

I'm Baaaccck!!

No, you ninnies, not Arnold, it's me: The HAL 9000.

Now, where's Dave?

Juliabohemian said...

at the wildlife sanctuary by our house, the turtles sit with their head out of the water WAITING for someone to walk by with food. When someone walks by, they all line up along the edge of the pond expectantly. They will literally eat anything, so I hope people exercise caution when feeding them.

Lynne said...

I hope there were no toes dangling in the water- EEK!!

Michelle said...

So cool. I like turtles - but snapping turtles are nasty things!

Beautiful pics Susan. Morgan is a tree-hugger too :))))

LauraHinNJ said...

I like the tree-hugger pic also.

27 snapping turtle eggs hatched beside the *pond* at work the other day - they were pretty cute. So docile that one would never guess them to be snappers, but their very long tails gave them away.