Friday, June 30, 2006

Mish-mash of stuff from my Friday

While dropping Isabelle off at my Mom's for a sleepover, I checked the bluebird houses that dot Mom's property. She has also been blessed with four bluebird eggs. That's another nest for me to worry over.

If not for Phoebe, Julie Zickefoose's daughter, I would not have looked at this Cheeto twice. But when I pulled it out of the bag, it reminded me of a Y chromosome.

See? You never know what level of entertainment you will get here on

Susan Gets Native!


We have been hiding a dirty secret here at the Williams' manor. We have mice in the basement. As in where I sit every night to write this blog. That's why I have been absent for the past few days. We have live-caught two so far. The first one we released in the yard. But it may have returned. I read a study where scientists tagged mice, released them 3 miles away from where they were caught, and they returned within a week. So today, after catching the second, I decided that 3 miles wouldn't do it. I took them to my Mom's house...47.3 miles away (give or take a few miles for a side trip to Starbucks) I couldn't get a photo of the little guy, because he was VERY ready to go when I opened the trap in her garden. Enjoy country life, little vermin.

This is Dave Tennant, educator at RAPTOR. I will be observing/helping him with programs for the next few months to get my feet wet, and hopefully soon will be doing my own programs. He has been doing this for years, and it's a real treat to hear him talk about the birds. What a nice guy...It will be fun to shadow him.

(And I'm sure you recognize Lucy, the Peregrine Falcon, by now!)

***A photo to mess with Rita's mind***

Isabelle has a thing for pet carriers. She used to crawl into Roxy's carrier (that's my in-laws' dog) and today she realized that she fit into Bailey's carrier (that's my Mom's dog). It freaks Rita out to see one of her precious granddaughters in a cage. Please don't call Children's Services. We let her out. Eventually.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great idea. After I saw your photo, I went out an bought a couple dozen designer pet carriers. Now I won't be dropping my baby on its head so much. I'll let him out of course when ever he wants to drive my car.

LauraHinNJ said...

Do you mean to say that mice in your basement have kept you from blogging?

Yet, you routinely post pictures of rats playing in your hair??

*shaking head in confusion*

Susan Gets Native said...

Laura,
I know, I know.
It's not that I am afraid of them but it's just the way that mice don't give you a warning before darting out right under your feet that gives me the willies.
And our cats are useless when it comes to catching mice. They are too well-fed, I guess.