Monday, June 05, 2006

A few of my favorite things, continued

This is my niece, Heather.
She graduated from high school yesterday.
This spunky, wacky girl is one of my favorite people. I don't get to see her as much as I would like, and since she will be busy this summer preparing for Mount Saint Joe University I will probably see her even less.
She was born on my 15th birthday.
She is one of my favorite people because:
She is full of life.
She is brave, brazen and beautiful.
She is intelligent and intense.
Although in some ways, she is still a "typical teenager", she has the potential to
change the world, on her terms.
She can dance and sing, she holds a second-degree black belt in karate, she's funny,
and she is the future.
Yesterday, I was reflecting on her life: She was "unplanned", as my brother and his then-girlfriend were 18 and 17 respectively. They married when Heather was 6 months old. And they did their best, and here she is. A wonderfully weird, sweetly successful new addition
to the adult world.
All the best, Heather. ALL THE BEST.

3 comments:

LauraHinNJ said...

Congrats to Heather!

When did senior pics get so cool? Back in the *olden* days we had the boring formal pic or the casual one standing next to some silly wagon wheel!

Susan Gets Native said...

I know...mine consisted of a formal shot and one with me holding a leather jacket over my shoulder.
This is the most "normal" picture she took that day. She also has karate poses in black and white, and these sexy poses with hats...
Sign of the times, I guess.

Shannon said...

Man I feel so old!!!