Wednesday, February 23, 2011

It's time to play everyone's favorite game...."Where'd THAT Bone Come From??"

Two posts in a month?  Can you keep up?  Can ya?

I went on a trip recently to southern Kentucky, and I surprised myself by getting up before dawn and going on a bird hike.  Those of you who have birded with me can vouch for the incredulity of that statement.

Bird action was quietly promising....some circling red-tailed hawks, a phoebe, sparrows out the wazoo.

As a Junior Science Chimp, I felt that it was my duty to entertain with my scat-chimping and poking around in the weeds for fun and gross secrets.

Okay, fellow Learning Lemurs.  Let's play "Where'd THAT Bone Come From??"


jaw 1


back of teeth


A few shots of a removed tooth (Yes, I yanked one out of the socket)
tooth 1


tooth 2


So.  What do you think, my Chimps?

10 comments:

Dave Dorsey said...

A monsterdon?

KGMom said...

Much as I would love to play along (if for no other reason than to encourage you to keep writing blogs), I don't know beans about bones.

Murr Brewster said...

I know! I know! The top end. Of something.

Murr Brewster said...

You're welcome.

Beth said...

Man, Murr cracks me up. I know diddly about bones, jaw or otherwise, but like KGMom, I am commenting just to give you positive feedback so you keep blogging. Miss you lots!

p.s. word verification is manicar (makes me want to get my nails done or it is the nickname for the 'Baroo)

nina said...

Well, if it's not a monsterdon, I'd call it the lower jaw bone (mandible) of a deer. I s'pose it could be a cow or some other large herbivore, but my money's on the white-tail.

Glad to have you back!
( and you thought you'd trick us by holding it upside down...)

Jen said...

Ooh I'm very curious! Having plucked some teeth out of an elk jaw last summer I understand the interest!

John said...

Like nina, I'll go with white-tailed deer.

Kyle said...

From southern Kentucky, you say? I'm guessing that'd be the jawbone of a Billy Jack, or maybe one of his half-brother/cousins. (I can get away with saying that, since one whole side of my family came from Kentucky. We're still not sure exactly where they found the other half of the family...)

Susan Gets Native said...

Kyle was right. It's one of his relatives.
Okay, to answer all of you...yeah, think it was a white-tailed deer. When I first looked at it, I was confused...I was expecting "molars" like we have. But I guess if you spent your life eating grass and the neighborhood hydrangeas, your teeth have to be extra special.