Wednesday, July 30, 2008


Even if the mid-summer lull in bird activity wasn't happening, I still wouldn't have been blogging much. A few days ago, I got so very sick...bathroom visits every 10 minutes or so...nausea that threatened to burn my eyeballs...and a few nights ago, I actually thought I would pass out. Now, I haven't passed out ever (unless you count that time I had 15 Amaretto Sours and then stood up to go play pool...but I digress...).

But the other night, I was in the bathroom and I felt that vomiting was inevitable, so I assumed the position. (Driving the porcelain bus) I suddenly felt as if my head was INSIDE OUT and I started to sweat like I never have before. I could actually feel the sweat popping out of my skin. I got up somehow and tried to leave the bathroom to go lay down on the couch. I had to hang onto the door frame. I made it to the front door, about 5 steps from the bathroom. My ears weren't ringing, they were roaring. I clung to the front door, then made the few steps to the armchair. At that point, I fell to my knees. At that point, I was scared out of my mind. I tried to call for Geoff, but I wasn't able to make my voice loud enough for him to hear. I expected to pass out any moment. Scared out of my wits.

Skin dripping, eyes streaming, I somehow got to the couch on my hands and knees. And once I laid down, all was still, except for the sweat still popping out of every pore. A few minutes later (or an hour later, I'm not sure) Geoff came downstairs and I explained what was going on.
He went into the kitchen to get me a glass of water. He added ice. And just before coming back in, I heard him turn around and get me a straw. To make it easier for me to drink it.

THAT little act nearly reduced me to tears again. THAT is why I married the fool. Because he thinks of stuff like that.

I spent the next day on the couch, managing only a shower and to eat a cup of soup. The children wrecked the house, but I got better.

Aren't you glad you visit my blog? See what you could be missing?????

Nellie update: Her eye seems to be better. The raised area is smaller and less angry-looking.

I don't know about you, but I need cleansing after all that.

Isabelle and her crickets
Isabelle has been putting her Bug Habitat to good use, catching and releasing some of the zillion small crickets that call the yard their home.

Even better than that sweet photo is this....

That print on her shirt?
Many, many wee Boston Terriers.
Wee little boston
Go ahead. Soak that in.


Lynne said...

You poor girl. I feel queazy just reading that. Take mucho care of yourself and rest longer than you feel you need.

Dave said...

If he really cared he would have brought you a beer and a straw. :) Get feeling better.

KatDoc said...

Ok, I feel bad for you, I really do, but I have a very IMPORTANT question to ask:

You weren't by any chance INCUBATING the sweating-puking-fainting germs when you were in the office on Monday, were you? 'Cuz, I don't got a DH to bring me ice water with a straw if I get what you have!


PS: Glad Nellie's eye is looking better. I really don't want to have to scrape it.


Susan Gets Native said...

Sorry if I made you feel icky. But it was so scary....
I feel okay today. Must have been a 24 hour-thing.
Yeah. Beer would have been great....blasted all over the living room wall. : )
It's possible that I was harboring GERMS at the office. The big episode happened Monday NIGHT....a few hours after visiting YOU.
(can you hurry up and train Gracie and Holly to work the fridge for you?)

LauraHinNJ said...

Oh Susan... sorry to hear you've been feeling awful.

Glad that someone's taking care of you, though.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better. Poor thing.

Julie Zickefoose said...

Those stomach things can have up to a two-week incubation period. I'm just sayin'.

Poor Susan. I'm sorry you were sick and hope you're all betta.

Gimme that BT shirt, gimme it now.