Friday, June 13, 2008

The only birding I have accomplished lately

Mom told me the other day that her bluebird house is sans bluebirds, but full of sticks, and she couldn't even see into the nest cup.

Ha! Mom must have gotten "wrenned"!

I approached the nest today, and I was only three feet away when I saw Miss Thang giving me the Stinky Eye:

House wren gives me the stinky eye
House wren. A pissed off house wren.
I stopped to get a few photos, and I was going to start backing away when she bolted.

Well, I had an opportunity to check the nest so I peeked:

Seven little wren eggs
SEVEN eggs. Holy crap.

6 comments:

Kitt said...

That's gonna be a lot of mouths to feed!

Kathi said...

House Wrens amaze me - so many eggs from so tiny a body. How do they do it?

~Kathi

NCmountainwoman said...

We don't have House Wrens here, but I understand they are not as sweet as our Carolina Wrens and are prone to destroying nests and eggs of other birds.

But you have to admire that many eggs. Unless, of course, you don't want them around.

Mary said...

7 eggs! It's no wonder she's pissed off. I'd steer clear of her, Susan. I don't have house wrens here.

Kathie Brown said...

And what lovely eggs they are! I hope they make it!

Anonymous said...

Awww, soo to have baby wrens!