Sunday, January 14, 2007

Guess who's back (for now)?

Recognize that chin?
Boomer.

Here's the story:

I got a call yesterday from the rescue who found a home for Boomer. The family didn't want him anymore, and the rescue had to return him to us. (I had no idea that was an option...when I said goodbye to him, I thought it was forever)

The adoptive family said that he "tore up their laundry room" and had "separation anxiety" and "escaped from his crate" and "wouldn't eat". I don't buy it. These people obviously didn't know how to deal with a Boston Terrier (high energy dogs who need mental stimulation as well as exercise), and he has eaten 3 cups of food since he has been here today.

So I guess we are back to the "fatten up Boomer" diet. He's not quite as bony as when I first saw him at the shelter, but he's not healthy.

We are back to where we started. The cats are back in the basement, Boomer is sleeping on our bed right now (he loves Geoff) and we still have to find him a home...the rescue suggested a trainer who could help us introduce Boomer to cats and maybe help them all co-exist. I doubt it.

So here is what Boomer needs:

A home with no cats. Ever.

A family who knows about Bostons and their needs (exercise, companionship, brain work).

A lot of love.

What he has going for him:

He is a wonderfully loving little dog.

He is neutered and up to date on all his vaccinations.

He is micro-chipped.

He is ready for play at any time, or being a couch potato anytime.

I am willing to drive as long as I need to to get him to a new home. Anyone want to give him a try? He's so wonderful. And he deserves a second (and third) chance.

He remembered me, obviously...he just about tore a hole in the woman's car when he saw me.

I added this picture just because I was proud of it. I made homemade pizza tonight, and Isabelle helped (but she ate more pepperoni than she actually got onto the pizza) and I made a smiley face on it for her. And it was so delicious...an obscene amount of cheese on this bad boy.

Sigh...I love Boomer. The girls love Boomer. Nellie loves Boomer. Geoff even loves Boomer. (Geoff told me that he can stay as long as I can handle the cats being stuck in the basement)

Someone help!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm loving seeing the Boomer face and body again! I didn't realize that if it didn't work out that he would come back to you. How does that make you feel - to have him temporarily?
He's microchipped? I get the microchip, but what is it for? In case he gets lost?
Girlfriend - that pizza looks yummy! I'll take one to go, along with that big chocolate chip cookie from the other day. Seriously, it's almost 11:00 PM here and I'm going to bed, and my stomach just girgled with hunger looking at it. MMMMM - I bet it was gooooood!

Susan Gets Native said...

Pam:
The microchip is in case he gets away. If someone finds him, he has a tag on his collar to alert them, but if the tag gets lost, any vet or shelter can scan him for a chip, which will give them our name, address and phone number.
I have to say that it was really good. There are some things that I am not good at, but cooking isn't one of them.
:)

Mary said...

Sometimes I want another Boston, and sometimes I don't. Chloe is ageing and showing signs of some health issues. Bella, the younger one, needs a playing buddy. I need to get Chloe evaluated before I make a decision and that will be this month. A new permanent dog in the house might put her over the edge.

He is a dear dog...worthy of a cat-free forever home and my heart breaks for him. I love seeing him back! Wow!

Your pizza is making my stomach growl. Hug Boomer for me!

Anonymous said...

You're really in a tough spot with Boomer. Maybe a trainer CAN help him with his cat issues.

Do you deliver? Mmmmm...pizza!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to see Boomer didnt' work out with its new owners but glad you have him back to find a better home!
BTW: You can make those pizza's into different shapes! Hmm, I just smile thinking how good it is!

Anonymous said...

So sorry that Boomer's home didn't work out. What a shame. I don't know if you've ever watched The Dog Whisperer but I think it might give you some ideas on how to deal with Boomer's cat aggression. It's on the National Geographic channel.

That pizza looks amazing. YUM!

Jess Riley said...

Poor Boomer!!!! I am crossing my fingers that he finds a wonderful forever-home soon.

You made that pizza from scratch?!?! I bow before your cooking skills.