Friday, October 06, 2006

Fall, glorious Fall! And a fall in the bathroom

He turns the seasons around
And so she changes her gown
But they always look in their prime
They go on dancing their dance
Of everlasting romance
Mother Earth and Father Time
The summer larks return to sing
Oh, what a gift they give
Then autumn days grow short and cold
Oh, what a joy to live
How very special are we
For just a moment to be
Part of life's eternal rhyme
How very special are we
To have on our family tree
Mother Earth and Father Time
(Charlotte, from Charlotte's Web)

A flock of grackles.

(Wait, weren't they a band from the eighties?)

Please forgive the Charlotte's Web lyrics. Every Fall, that song rings in my brain, the part about "So she changes her gown". She's definitely changing her gown right now.

This is not a lofty blog...Laura quotes Hal Borland, Endment writes her own, and I quote a cartoon.

I officially hate my camera. The girls and I took Bailey back to Mom's today, and the weather was so glorious I had to bird. I saw:

Turkey vultures

Red-tailed hawks

Blue Jays

Chickadees

Carolina Wrens

Grackles

Wild Turkeys (it's okay, they were sober)

and a whole FLOCK of CEDAR WAXWINGS.

But all those photos went bye-bye when, later at CNC, I dropped my camera onto the cement floor of the bathroom and all those great photos were deleted from the blow.

So imagine a flock of waxwings in your mind...

Yee-Haw! We're ridin' the Learning Log!

(I'm sure I could turn that into a metaphor or something...)

I must have a thing for 2001. This is the sun setting over the vertical part of the Learning Log.

Looks like the Monolith in 2001 and 2010.

Traffic lights and a full moon.

7 comments:

NatureWoman said...

Bummer about losing the bird photos! I love Cedar Waxwings! That must have been so cool to see so many of them.

The Swami said...

I was really worried when you said you dropped your camera, then I saw that it worked fine in taking pictures of The Girls and I knew all was well.

The 2001 photo reminds me of the glow of the sunrise in Bill of the Birds blog today....which reminds me...Well, just let me say that the Swami is now very careful not to have a short-circuit in his turban.

Susan Gets Native said...

I also had photos of myself handing a cold-stupified frog and a snake.
Damn.

LauraHinNJ said...

The light in that top pic is so nice!

Sounds like we missed lots of cool pics. ;-(

Anonymous said...

Sorry you lost your pictures. I especially would have like to have seen the sober turkeys! But the pics you did get are COOL! I've only seen cedar waxwings once at Hasty Brook this fall and never in my yard at home. They are purty!

Dave Dorsey said...

Your camera must be made by the same people who made my cell phone. It's not bounce proof either.

daringtowrite said...

A flock of cedar waxwings! Oh what a beautiful sight. I've only seen a few and fell in love with each one. Too bad about the camera.