Saturday, August 19, 2006

While in Marietta...

...you have to visit the Wilds.
They explain it pretty well on their website, but in a nutshell, a bunch of strip-mined land was donated to a conservation group. This group has a whole slew of endangered animals being raised and protected on this land (10,000 acres!!!).
Giraffe
Asian camel
Some sort of antelope and a WHITE RHINO!
Overlook
Two little hams, hamming it up for the camera
BIRDS: I wanted to come to this area because I had heard of all the great birding. We took a bus tour through the park, and a bumpy bus is no place to bird. But, we got out a few times and I did get a lifer: Henslow's Sparrow. Other birds: Osprey, trumpeter swans, Am. goldfinches, tons of turkey vultures, belted kingfishers, cedar waxwing.
At the hotel pool, I was lazily floating on my back, and I saw a Common Nighthawk (another lifer!).

You know you've arrived in the boonies when there are Mail Pouch signs.

And while in Marietta, you just have to visit Big Muskie Bucket. This is all that is left of the world's largest earth-moving machine. It could move 350 million tons of earth in an hour. My in-laws were cool enough to go with us to see this big thing...They have been all over the world, and yet they are real enough to still be impressed with something like this.

To put it in perspective, here are Isabelle and me in the bucket. And the chain laying alongside the bucket is bigger around than an average person. I don't really understand our fascination with GIANT things, but there you are.

Tomorrow, we have a real treat in store for us. But I will have to keep you hanging, because it's just too neat. Laura knows, but she's not gonna tell. When we get home, I will share photos and stories.

6 comments:

LauraHinNJ said...

Not tell? I'm not gonna tell? Who says?

It really depends on what folks might try to bribe me with.

I can be persuaded with the right temptation.

Have a nice time! Won't say more for fear of giving inadvertant hints.

Love that pic of the girls - especially the binocs hanging down around her knees! And that bucket is really huge!

Susan Gets Native said...

No bribing Laura, everyone!
Lorelei insisted on wearing my binoculars, even though they were so long, they kept throwing her off balance.
:-)

NatureWoman said...

V-e-r-y nice photos Susan!!!

Laura, what will it take to get you to spill, something for your cute bunnies? Hmmm, just let me know!

The suspense is gonna kill me, Susan!

Anyway Susan, have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Well, Susan, since you forgot to swear your father-in-law to secrecy, perhaps I can end the suspense. Could it be that you are going to be having a gourmet meal of fricasseed Ivory-Billed Woodpecker?!

No, No, easy there birders, I was just joking. Okay, I know that to a birder there is nothing funny about that.

I definitely do not want to do anything to upset birders, especially since almost-five-year-old Isabelle, after doing some very impressive bird calls, told me that she is a birder!

LauraHinNJ said...

The bunnies might like a new variety of hay - what part of the world are you in naturewoman and do they grow nice hay there??

I'm not sure how much longer I can keep quiet, Susan!

NatureWoman said...

Hi Laura, I was busy all day so I didn't get to answer back until *after* Susan posted the surprise. Upstate NY has nice hay. . .

Hi Susan, I was wondering, do you have any pics of the honkin' huge machine that the huge bucket was attached to? I can't even imagine how big the machine must be!