Monday, March 06, 2006

A day of raptor rapture

Today all the hawks must have called each other and got together to follow me around Cincinnati. I saw 5 hawks (one Cooper's and four red-taileds) on my trip to and back from Mom's house. (I took Bailey home today...Mom had a great time in Alabama- she somehow got on the condo's website...I will find it later and post the address)
The first sighting was while I was waiting in the drive thru line at Starbuck's. This hawk comes barrelling out of the sky to snatch up something that, unfortunately for the hawk, ended up on the other side of a chain link fence. The hawk hit the fence and needed a few minutes to repair its dignity. On one hand, thank goodness Starbuck's is so slow, but then I was swearing under my breath as the line advanced to the point where I lost sight of the hawk. A few minutes later, I caught sight of it again in my rear view mirror. It had found a gap in the fence and was walking through it. By the time I got my blankety-blank caramel Frappuchino and circled the parking lot for a good look, it was gone.
The other four hawks were all doing something interesting as I buzzed by at 65 mph: three were diving for prey along the side of the expressway and one was standing in the median looking confused about something a few feet in front of it.

I guess urban birding is better than no birding at all.

1 comment:

LauraHinNJ said...

Birding is where you find it. 4 hawks is a good day!