Sunday, July 23, 2006

I was reading Nature Woman today, and feeling sorry for her poison ivy woes. And I thought about all the weeds and miscellaneous plants growing wild around the house, and I wanted to go see if anything resembled poison ivy.
Anyone know if this is it???

The seventh mouse to be relocated to Indiana. I guess this could go on indefinitely if I don't find where they are coming in. Cute, but not welcome in the basement.

Since I consider myself a birder, and consider this a birding blog (sort of) I tried to get some pictures of a bird to put on here. A not-great pic of two Carolina Chickadees:

My in-laws have placed their new Christopher Walden print over their fireplace.

(The top bird is an American Kestrel; the bird about to be eaten is a Bobwhite)

Hope this doesn't turn out like the lettuce. Our first blackberry of the season. I planted this just for the birds, really, but if they leave us some, I could feasibly whip up a cobbler.

5 comments:

NatureWoman said...

Hi Susan, This looks like Poison Ivy to me! Argh!
Pam, aka NatureWoman
who is whiny on her blog about having poison ivy so she will never forget what a pain it is to have!

Anonymous said...

I think that is poison ivy. I forgot to show you the poison sumac that we have growing. Nona

Anonymous said...

Susan, I don't think that is poison ivy, the veins in the leaves of that plant are very well defined, and they look like they have a texture. Poison ivy leaves are more smooth and glossy, this plant does look similar to poison ivy in that it has leaves in groups of 3, but I don't think that's what it is. To me that looks more like wild blackberry or raspberry or maybe wild rose.

LauraHinNJ said...

I was thinking the same as Rachel - are there tiny thorns?

And shouldn't poison ivy has some reddish color by now (and berries)?

Susan Gets Native said...

This is exactly why I asked the "pros".
I have looked at many, many pictures of poison ivy on the Web, but one plant can look so different from another.
Don't worry...I didn't touch it.
We do have wild rose growing near this plant, but I don't think this is rose.
There's so much foliage over by our "honeysuckle wilderness" that I can hardly tell where one plant ends and the enxt begins.
I did find a downy hawthorn, though, while cutting down some honeysuckle, so at least there's some native stuff in there.