Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Meet me in New Jersey

Back in the fall of 2007, I agreed to go meet some fellow bird bloggers in Cape May, New Jersey.  The lineup was originally much larger, but in the end only four of us were there to meet on that beautiful shore.

The Flock

Delia
Susan Merchant
Laura
and moi

I remember it being so strange, so awkward, to meet these people that I had only known through my computer screen up until then.  I had flown all the way to New Jersey to go birding with strangers??


 From that first meeting, from jokingly calling ourselves "The Flock", a wave...a movement...a thing has occurred.  Now numbering in the teens, we are a group...a passel...a force.
From all over the country, we gather to laugh, to love, to bird, to cherish. To giggle uncontrollably.  To be shushed by trip leaders.  To ingest very large amounts of wine.  To get glared at by other, more responsible birders.

To quote Delia in a comment about our last Cape May Weekend:
"I don't know why we all don't just admit that, with the exception of KatDoc, we all went to Cape May to see each other and be rowdy! Were there even any birds there?"


I cherish these women (and one man) so much more than I ever thought possible.
In a little over 24 hours, I will be packing the car and heading to Cape May once again, to frolic in the waves,
to cry at the peregrines and osprey overhead, to get frustrated over shorebirds, and to once again wrap my arms around my Flock.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Have fun, guys. :)

Kathi said...

I resent the fact that I am not thought of as rowdy and irresponsible. How come I get the reputation of being there for the birds?

;)

~KatDoc

Beth said...

Can't wait to see you and the rest of the Flock. Thanks for embracing me as one of the rowdy bunch.

Elmo

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Smiling here over you and your joy. Have a blast and take at least one bird photo.

Are you going to do an owl walk?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Susan Gets Native said...

Lynne, I damn near peed my pants at that.

dguzman said...

Oh, KatDoc, you had your moments too!

And OH YES we are doing an owl walk, baby! Whether we'll see or hear anything besides our own whispers and giggles, well....

Wonder-flock, ACTIVATE!

NCmountainwoman said...

Have a wonderful time! Can't wait to see the pictures and hear about the antics (well, MOST of them).