Monday, March 02, 2009

Merlebleu de l'Est

Every day, if we look and try to be present, signs of Spring can be seen.
For me today, it was the sight of 2 male/2 female bluebirds flitting through the woods at Lake Isabella. I watched for an hour as they curiously peered into tree cavities and noodled in the leaves for vittles.

Male bluebird stretching
The male is an impossible blue. Anyone ever read The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier?
I imagine that blue when I look at a male bluebird. And his chest makes me hungry for mango chutney.


female bb 2
The girls are not as flashy, not as bright. But the fresh peach of her chest and the favorite- faded-jeans hue of her back just speaks in a different palette.


A sweet pile of bluebird
Just a sweet pile of bluebird.





This one added for a sialis-phile that I know.....
Bluebird tocks
Mary, here's lookin' at you, kid.

11 comments:

Kim said...

Love the bluebird pictures!! I can't wait to see mine come back. Yes they have the most magnificant blue that makes me yearn for spring.

The Swami said...

Do you mean that they are talking about bluebirds on TV when they say: "Ask your doctor if sialis is right for you?"

It must be the Bluebird of Happiness!

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Yesterday must have been the day for Bluebirds!!
I remember your heartache of HOSP, but miraculously, I have never seen one here! Maybe its that we're a bit more rural? At any rate, so HAPPY to finally see them.

Is there anything lovelier?!

Mary said...

When you made the comment recently, "They're little peaches wrapped in demin" I took a deep sigh. Is there a more delightful little songbird? I think not.

Glad you're seeing them, Susan. Great photos, too.

Mary said...

When you made the comment recently, "They're little peaches wrapped in demin" I took a deep sigh. Is there a more delightful little songbird? I think not.

Glad you're seeing them, Susan. Great photos, too.

Mary said...

When you made the comment recently, "They're little peaches wrapped in demin" I took a deep sigh. Is there a more delightful little songbird? I think not.

Glad you're seeing them, Susan. Great photos, too.

troutbirder said...

Love the blues. All of them. Great pictures and wonderful blog...

NatureWoman said...

Ohhh, more bluebirds - how awesome Susan!! Love your description of the colors.

Kelly said...

...so beautiful and happy! I was at Lake Isabella today, but the bluebirds weren't! :-(

KGMom said...

You changed your banner photo--Susan is gone and Owl is there instead.
Love the bluebirds. I don't get them here--a neighbor has a box and gets a nesting pair sometimes. Maybe we are too suburban.

dguzman said...

Oooh, I saw my first bluebird of the year on Friday, and I just had to give a little whoop for the coming spring. Yay!