Wednesday, November 09, 2005

My big rant for today (composing a post about compost)

While I was driving back from dropping off the girls at school, (and putting more money in Starbucks coffers) I saw something that just made me crazy. You know those brown bags you can buy at Lowe's and Home Depot, etc, to put yard waste in? This house I passed had 8 of these bags waiting at the curb for the garbage truck. Let me say this now: Kitchen and yard waste account for 30 % of landfills! Do what I did...start a compost pile. You don't need to buy a bin or any special tools. Just start with a pile of leaves and green grass from your yard, wet it down, (to the wetness of a wrung-out sponge) and leave it alone. Here's a link to a good composting site.
www.compostguide.com
Take a look at your yard. Is there a forgotten, or hard-to-see corner? Put your compost pile there. I started composting maybe a month ago, and thanks to the warm weather we have been having, I already have some compost. It improves your lawn soil (and we all need that, since housing developers usually scrap off the good topsoil and leave you with crappy subsoil), it reduces landfills (let's get serious, people. Where is all the trash going to go when we run out of room?) and it does what nature intended yard waste to do...feed the trees and shrubs and flowers. You will also save money on fertilizers...by putting nourishment back into the soil, for FREE. As you can see, this is an issue near and dear to me. Think about what you are doing to the planet, one yard at a time. BTW, I just got my sign from the National Wildlife Federation certifying our property as a Backyard Wildlife Habitat. Check out the link to the left for more info on certifying YOUR yard!

No comments: