Monday, April 24, 2006

Yet another dead animal post (plus some nice plant pics)


We have lived in this house for 6 years, and we had never seen a snake. Today I saw two. The first one, I picked up by mistake while grabbing an old fence post off the ground. Needless to say, I almost wet myself. The second one was lying headless next to the magnolia, obviously a casualty of lawn mowing yesterday.

First photo...Geoff gets fun and interesting stuff from PR agencies when he writes about their clients, and today he got two bottles of new Samuel Adams beer in this box. Since it resembles a nestbox, I thought I could find a use for it. If any birders out there would like to venture a guess as to what kind of bird would nest in this, I would love to hear it. It's about 10 inches tall, 6 inches wide, and the hole is handle-shaped, kind of like a laundry basket handle. It would be easy enough to narrow the hole, since just about anything could crawl in there.

Above: I saw more purple martins soaring and twittering above the yard today, and I thought it was a good time to put up the pseudo-gourd I bought weeks ago. Maybe it will make the yard more noticeable. Sweet little martins, please come to my yard. I am willing to do anything for you. I will even throw you crickets when the weather's bad. I will trap the house sparrows who try to crowd you out. Anything you need. We are the most bird-friendly yard around!!!!


This is my started hummingbird garden: Catchfly, bee balm and bleeding heart. As soon as the catchfly was in the ground, a bunch of cute little flying beetles alighted on it.
BTW, I saw our first little hummer today...a female. Thank you for blessing our yard, little one. We will treat you right.

4 comments:

LauraHinNJ said...

That box looks huge in your pic! I bet a house wren would love it - easy to bring all those sticks inside.

Your garden looks nice - suprising to see blooms on the bleeding heart already - it's so tiny.

Susan Gets Native said...

I was very pleased to find a bleeding heart with blooms. I think that's my favorite flower right now. Think what gorgeous photos I will get this year with a hummingbird sipping from those blooms!!!!
I have yet to see a house wren here. I have a pair of Carolina Wrens that I just love dearly and would love to supply them with a house. I better research if they use boxes...do you know?

LauraHinNJ said...

Carolina's nest in the weirdest of places. I've never had them use a box here. Usually inside sheds, or bar-b-cues, or old shoes - you get the idea.

Be glad you don't have house wrens - they'd probably trouble your bluebirds. I have chickadees with a beautiful moss nest - I'm worried the wrens will throw the eggs out. :-(

Susan Gets Native said...

My bluebirds are nowhere to be seen. The house sparrows won this round...but I am waiting for them to lay so I can throw out the nest/eggs and maybe they will move on. Or just take down the box altogether.